Our first few weeks in Chiang Mai I took great advantage of the down time to make this nativity scene. We don't have one of our own yet (besides a cute Veggie Tales set someone gave Caed) so I had been wanting one for a while. I had seen on a friends blog Kitschy Chic on the Cheap some paper mache that she did and she linked to another blog ann wood that has these super cute pirate ship paper mache projects. So inspired by them I took on the project.
I decided to make it out of things I could find here. Old pop-tart boxes, hotel shampoo bottles, sugar packets (the sheep), creamer packets (baby Jesus), instant coffee packets (a wise man) etc. The manger was made from old book covers.
My Dear husband wanting to save money said that I didn't need to buy lots of paint (50 cents a bottle) to paint them all and that I could surley think of a better idea. So I used scraps from magazines to make the clothes and hats different colors. Though I did splurge and spend the $1.50 it cost to get some white, brown and black paint for the hair and faces. And I am glad he said that in the end. My painting skills are not so great and I think they turned out way cuter this way. I did have to buy some things since we aren't at home, like a tiny paint brush, a box of paper clips for the halos and shepherds crook, glue and the colored pics on the wise mens crowns and the sheep
Thanks to Sean's mom who brought all the magazines I used from home. I got to read them and enjoy them first and then turn them into 'art'.
The sticks in the back and on the roof are from outside. It looks way cuter at night but my photography skills are not good enough to capture that.
I love the angel halos...
All in all a very fun, cheap way to help the time of waiting here pass along!


