Hair Cuts
A few weeks ago Sean and I went to get our hair cut. While they were washing it they asked do you want the $3 or the $6 haircut. And I think you know you have been living here a long time when you have to stop and think about this question because $6 (40 kuai) seems like a lot of money to you for a haircut. How much do you pay in the states for a haircut? I remember going to a Walmart hair place in Florida and having to pay $20 plus tip (no tipping in China). Anyway after a few minutes thought the $6 haircut didn't seem like such a bad deal.
Cigarette Games
Next to our local Chao Shi (mini-market) they just set up this claw game. Like the ones kids play in carnivals to get animal (toy story with the little green men...). Anyway to the shock of us foreigners (well thats an exaggeration, we have lived here too long to be shocked by this, our reaction was probably more like {head shake} 'yep that seems about right') the middle is filled with cigarette boxes and then the outside is lined with cutsie stuffed animals. The other day we were buying something there and Caed asks, "When I am older can I play that cigarette game?" No sweetheart :)
Biscuits
We went to our Southern friends house yesterday morning and she said she had made biscuits and fried apples for breakfast. I had never heard of this type of food. Our California breakfast most definitely never consisted of biscuits. To show how biscuit ignorant I am I keep typing 'biscut' and thankfully the blog is spell checking me! Sean and I both agreed that the only things we associate biscuits with (being from California) is KFC and Red Lobster. But apparently we are missing out on biscuits and gravy along with a whole lot of other things! What do all you Californians think, are we all on the same page?
Walmart Smiles
At Walmart the other day two things made us smile. One was the big bins of Christmas decorations displayed in the back... in July. The other was while I was in the baby section I heard this young man who was with his pregnant wife ask a sales person if the baby shampoo he was holding was for baby girls or baby boys. I am not sure why this was so funny to me but I am still giggling about it.

1 comment:
Im in California and I agree with you on the biscuit front! Biscuits to me equals a box of Bisquick. :)
Post a Comment