See that empty space where there should be a drawer in the lower left of the picture - well let me tell you a story. Growing up my Dad could fix anything, and I mean anything. I pride myself in having learned a thing or two from him. The drawer above the broken one broke and I fixed it myself (with a borrowed drill) in late November. The a few days later (still in November!) the underneath one broke.
But I didn't have the drill anymore. And they built a wall - I mean a huge. brick. wall. right on the only street that goes into town from our house. You can no longer hop on a motorcycle/bus/taxi and go into town and get the parts you need. You have to walk. In the cold.
So it stayed broken. The kids hid toys in it. The hole turned into a play nook.
Eventually on Christmas eve we were walking past the wall over the bridge and into town and I picked up the parts I needed. But still no drill.
And I got annoyed at the drawer just sitting on the ground. You see it held tupperware and now all my tupperware sort of made this mountain or unorganized plastic on the ground. But we were busy. Sean finishing up masters classes, and doing finals for his students. Planning and hosting Christmas events. Traveling all over. Going to celebrate our 12 year anniversary (!!!).
And the drawer was still there. And my kids kept climbing in there. And the tupperware kept stacking up. But I learned to just walk around the drawer on the floor. And to lure my kids into playing in 'the hole' while I cooked dinner or did dishes.
Until two days before we left for Thailand (January 13 - a month and a half later!!!) I was walking home and asked the handy man downstairs, who I literally see almost every day if he could come fix it. He said "yeah ill come" - and just like that with a ten word conversation and $5 USD my drawer was fixed in 30 minutes.
Lesson learned - just pay and have someone come and do it.
Also I need my own drill :)
No comments:
Post a Comment